SHL is a privately-owned developer, designer and manufacturer of advanced drug delivery devices.
We work with leading biotechnology pharmaceutical and companies to develop drug delivery systems, from compact disposable autoinjectors and re-useable pen injectors to complex inhaler systems. These devices are based on standard pre-filled syringes (PFS) and cartridges as well as novel primary containers.
SHL manufactures an extensive range of autoinjectors that re-define the self-injection process by making them simple, safe and reliable. SHL-designed autoinjectors make administrating drugs easier and more consistent than manual injections, improving patient compliance and ensuring successful therapy delivery. More recently developed autoinjectors include features such as:
- Enhanced safety
- Intuitive use and ergonomic design
- Reduced number of components
- Two-step or three-step operation
- Compact design
- Inter-lock systems with sequential control and non-sequential control
- Ability to accommodate high range of viscosities
SHL's DAI (disposable autoinjector) is considered to be one of the most effective devices on the market today and has changed people's perception of what an autoinjector is. This easy-to-use autoinjector features a three-step operation that ensures successful delivery in a matter of seconds.
Molly is an intuitive autoinjector featuring an ultra-compact design, simplified two-step operation and a permanently hidden needle. Key development / design work has been standardised to accelerate speed-to-market for customers. The compact device also utilises state-of-the-art safety and ergonomic features.
High-viscosity and high-precision autoinjectors
The PPI (precision pen injector) addresses the need for an extremely high-precision device with dosage accuracy that can handle highly viscous formulations.
Responding to the needs of customers, SHL has invested in developing a range of dual-chamber autoinjectors from the DAI MIX and the Mini MIX, to our latest device, the SDI MIX NIT.
Molly is an intuitive autoinjector featuring an ultra-compact design, simplified two-step operation and a permanently hidden needle. Thanks to the collaborative efforts of SHL teams in Sweden, Taiwan and the US, key development / design work has already been standardised to accelerate speed-to-market for customers. The compact device utilises state-of-the-art safety and ergonomic features, and is considered by many to be SHL's next-generation breakthrough autoinjector.
Another shield-activated autoinjector is the NAISA, which also offers a two-step operation as well as the ability to handle a range of viscosities.
SHL offers features such as variable dosing, dose limit memory settings, full control over the injection process, disposable or reusable options, compactness, and stylish industrial designs. In addition to designs suited for single-chamber cartridges, SHL has produced three dual-chamber cartridge pen injectors that are on the market today, and has several pen injectors under development for injectable therapeutics that are presented as lyophilised formulations.
Partnering with other experts in this field, SHL has applied for several patents to protect some ground-breaking solutions that we believe will be beneficial to our customers. Devices such as the ADI (aqueous droplet inhaler) have been under development and study for several years and are now ready for market commercialisation.
Drug delivery devices
Our concept development and innovative design takes place at our design centres in Sweden and the US, where experienced engineers develop product enhancements and breakthrough drug delivery solutions.
Significant investment in R&D over the past ten years has enhanced our broad pipeline of 'next generation' drug delivery devices. These include a range of disposable and reusable injectors with fixed or variable dosing, enhanced precision and the ability to accommodate high viscosities. Developing these drug delivery devices in-house allows us to customise existing devices in our pipeline or develop completely new devices based on the unique requirements of our customers.
Compliant drug delivery device manufacturer
With our Manufacturing Plus concept all key capabilities and processes are maintained in-house to ensure quality and time-to-market.
- Design: experts in mechanical and industrial design
- Tooling: advanced in-house tooling centre for drug delivery devices
- Moulding: extensive range of moulding solutions
- Automation: design and build customised assembly and testing equipment
- Assembly: semi-automatic and fully-automatic assembly solutions
- Final assembly: final assembly, labeling and packaging services for drug delivery devices
- Quality system: ISO13485 and FDA 21 CFR 820 compliant
- Regulatory affairs: 510K clearance and compliance to medical device cGMPs
- IP: steadily increasing number of patents, licensing opportunities and strong commitment to safeguarding of IP
- Project management: experienced professionals with dedicated project managers to ensure the success of your project
- As a market leader with extensive experience in the drug delivery device industry, SHL's products empower end-users to administer their injections / inhalations by themselves at home or under the supervision of their healthcare provider.